Indie Film Project – Tasks

Week: 17 – 23 May

Today (19th May), we finally, we received the actual video footages. Luke made a briefing video and spreadsheet about our tasks for each shot.

Our team members and tasks

There are total of 8 videos that divided into 2 categories, which are CC (car crash) and CP (car pass). CC shots would need additional VFX works for the car crash simulation and effects.

The flow for each shot will be basically like this: ‘Matchmove > Animation > VFX > Lighting & Rendering > Compositing‘. For the animation tasks, me and the other animators (Layne & Tina) would need to wait for the footages to be tracked by the matchmovers first (Emma, Marianna & Antoni) so that we can animate the car accordingly to the camera angle, and ground surface of the scene. We can actually start animating the car while the footages being tracked, but the animations might need to be changed again when we receive the camera track to match the path and direction of the road in the shots.

I checked the footages in the collaboration folder and noticed that all of the videos were blurry or have motion blur when the camera moves. I’m not an expert in camera tracking, but I’m a bit concerned that the videos could be very challenging to track.

About 2 days later, my concern was true as Emma and Marianna were discussing for several days that they were having trouble to work with the blurry videos.

Although I’m not a matchmover in this project, I was thinking to try to track some of the shots in Blender to see if I’m able to solve it. This can also a good practice for me since I’m also doing camera tracking in my personal project.