Collaborative Project: 1 – 7 February 2021

1 – 3 Feb 2021

I started the week by searching and collecting free models from the internet that I think can be used for the project. There are many good free models but some of them were in different 3d formats and not for Maya. So, I spent a bit of time to convert the models to Maya and relinked the materials.

I saw that Emma and Antony also started sharing initial assets and references that they found online in the group chat. So I think everyone was excited to start working on this project.

We discussed of when is the suitable time for our first video meeting and agreed to meet online on Thursday, Feb 4th.

4 Feb 2021

During the first video meeting, we’ve got the opportunity to know each other better and understand everyone specialties which are important for collaboration work. I feel confident with everyone in the group and believe we can achieve a good result with the project. 

Our first video meeting

Group Leader: Emma Copeland
Animator: Emma Copeland, Kamil Fauzi
VFX: Gherardo Varani, Antoni Coll
Sound Design: Cally Spence, Ben Harrison

Antoni from VFX was unable to be in the meeting today as he was traveling back to London, but Gherardo took notes for him. 

We discussed and began planning out the initial steps for our project. I suggested that we start by making storyboards first based on the Emma’s story outline. So we can get a picture on how the scenes will look like, identify required assets and anticipate any technical issues. With storyboard, all departments can have a guide to start preparing and designing their materials without having to wait for the other stage to complete first. 

There are 3 acts in the story, and we divided the storyboard tasks:
Act 1 & 3: Emma
Act 2: Kamil

Story outline by Emma

We decided to have another video meeting on the next Monday, Feb 8th to discuss again after the storyboards finished.

Right after the meeting, I shared some of the models that I have converted to Maya in the group chat.

5 Feb 2021

While drawing the storyboard, I asked the other departments if they have ideas that they want Emma and I to include in the storyboard.

7 Feb 2021

By the end of the week, Emma & I managed to finish the storyboards for tomorrow’s meeting (Monday, Feb 8th).

My storyboard for Act 2:

Act 1 storyboard by me

Emma storyboard for Act 1 & 3:

Act 1 storyboard by Emma
Act 3 storyboard by Emma