Personal Project – 3D Modeling & 1 to 1 Session

Week: 3 – 9 May

Earlier this week I began modelling the characters in Blender based on the sketches that I did last week. The characters I designed have some similar body parts such as the body, eyebrows, mouth, hand and legs so I can use the same model for those. The major different between them are the eyes, cloth and color.

So the plan was to model the main character first, which is Zeo and reuse his model for the Agent character with additional props. I mostly used the basic and standard modeling tool such as extrude, bevel, cut and loop cut during the modeling.

I also used several modifiers such as ‘Mirror’ to make the character symmetry and the ‘Subdivision Surface’ to make the low poly shape smoother. At some parts like cloth and belt, I used the ‘Solidify’ modifier to create the depth for those models.

Most parts are modeled for 1 side only
With ‘Mirror’ modifier for symmetry
‘Solidify’ modifier for object depth
‘Subdivision Surface’ modifier to make the low-poly shape smoother
Main character, Zeo
The enemy, Agent

I managed to finish both character models within 3 days. I didn’t proceed to rig the characters yet because I want to show to Luke first during the 1 to 1 session with him tomorrow.

1 to 1 Session With Luke

During today’s evening (6th May), I had a video call with Luke on Discord. I have prepared 3d models, tracking samples and rough storyboard (not final) for this session.

I shared my screen and showed him the reference for my idea first, which is Killer Bean. I planned to make a short action story like the Killer Bean animation but with real video footages as background. I then presented the 3d character models that I have finished in Blender. Luke was okay with the idea and characters. He gave a suggestion to improve the topology by making the elbow and knee to have a rounded cap shape so they can be bent properly.

Character topology

Next, I showed my camera tracking test videos to demonstrate if I’m capable to do the 3d character on real footage project. The tracks were not 100% perfect, but I think I can improve it in the actual footages later.

I then presented the rough storyboard, as the initial idea for the story. I planned to make a very short animation, sort of like a TV advertisement. A battery ad to be exact. So it will be around 15 to 30 second long. Both characters will be shooting to each other like an action scene in The Matrix and Killer Bean with the ending tagline “The BatteriX: No other batteries could challenge”. I described the actions that I planned in the storyboard, and mentioned that the scenes probably will be changed since the story was not final yet. Luke gave suggestions to do a closer shot to some scenes and pick 2 to 3 shots that really show decent camera tracking and full body actions for the showreel.